If you don’t have much time and just want to find out what the best infrared grill is, then I recommend the Char-Broil’s Big Easy TRU-Infrared Smoker Roaster & Grill as the best one.
For a great balance of safety, efficiency and taste, few things can compete with an infrared grill. Gas and charcoal are great, but infrared grills are fast becoming the most popular choice for barbecue enthusiasts.
With so much to choose from, making a decision on the best infrared grill can seem overwhelming. That’s why I’ve gone through the best of the bunch, to bring you my own opinion about the best infrared grill on the market.
Why Do I Need an Infrared Grill?
With conventional cooking, so much heat is lost. The grill ends up heating the space around the meat. Infrared grills are all about efficiency. They are able to directly heat the meat for the best possible flavor.
This radiant energy form of cooking means you get an even cook. Also, as the surrounding air isn’t being heated, the meat retains its juices. This is why meat cooked on an infrared grill has unbelievable, succulent flavor. You’ve got to try it!
What to Look for in a Great Infrared Grill
Let’s take a look at some of the key features of infrared barbecues. Then you’ll have a better grasp of what you’re looking for.
Are you after a big beast of an infrared grill, fit to cook up a feast for a big backyard party? Or a small infrared grill that can cook up a beautiful family meal, without taking up a ton of space? Whatever setup you’re looking for, there’s a perfect infrared grill for you.
Value for Money
While some grills are overpriced and overrated, others are worth their weight in gold. There are definitely a few great value-for-money infrared grills on my list. So, you’ve got a good chance at snapping up a bargain.
Some infrared grills are big beasts, with high power output. Some are tiny little portable grills that you can pack up and take with you on the road. There’s something for everyone. So, consider the type of cooking you’ll want to be doing. Also, whether you want to position your grill in a fixed place, or take it with you into the great outdoors.
Having an infrared grill that can sear your meat one minute and gently cook the next is what you want. Infrared grills vary a lot when it comes to temperature control. Find one that you’re able to control with precision, rather than one that burns your delicate meat to a crisp.
Infrared Grill Review
Here’s my breakdown of the best infrared grills available, along with their good points and bad points.
Char-Broil Big Easy TRU-Infrared Smoker Roaster & Grill
This beautiful beast lets you smoke, roast and grill, all in one go. For an infrared outdoor cooker, this is as flexible as it gets. Grill up some burgers and sausages on your grill. Then, remove the grill tray and slot in the smoker basket. Insert a whole turkey and sit back as the Big Easy does its thing.
There are 180 square inches of main grilling space. This may not seem like a lot. But when you add 1,200 square inches of smoking space, you realize how much cooking you can get done.
Having a grill that cooks burgers to perfection and then smokes the best turkey you’ve ever tasted is quite an achievement. Then you consider the price. It’s far cheaper than lots of other infrared grills and is far superior.
It’s not all perfect though. There’s a slight issue with the smoker box. It could be bigger. Also, it’s a little annoying when taking out and putting back, as the metal expands when the grill gets hot. Still, it’s a minor quibble considering it’s an infrared smoker, roaster AND a grill.
- Amazing value for money: considering it’s a 3-in-1 infrared grilling, smoking, roasting machine, this thing is great value!
- Flexible: whether you want to smoke, roast or grill, you’re going to end up with some seriously tasty food.
- Compact and mobile: considering the amount of food you can cook on this grill, it’s pretty easy to move.
- Easy to assemble: clear instructions and a simple design make it a breeze to put together.
- No propane storage: some other infrared grills have built-in propane storage.
- Smoker box could be better: it can be a bit fiddly opening and closing the smoker box. Especially when the grill gets hot. It’s a little on the small side too.
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200 Portable TRU-Infrared Liquid Propane Gas Grill
This little portable grill is good to go! It’s so mobile, you could take it to work with you! Seriously though, it’s got plenty to offer besides mobility.
It’s got limited room – only 200 square inches of cooking space – but you’d expect that for a portable grill. Still, with a 9,500 BTU burner, it’s got lots of power for its size. It’s well designed too – a lid-mounted temperature gauge helps you keep tabs on your food.
For all its other attributes, what sets this baby apart is the get-up-and-go factor. For portability, the Char-Broil grill is as good as it gets. This portable infrared grill is perfect for road trips and family picnics.
It’s easy to keep clean too – no surprise considering its compact size. Still, the grill’s grease holes have a habit of getting clogged. But by far the biggest problem with this small infrared grill is temperature control.
The lowest setting burns too hot. So, anything other than burgers could be a problem. The easiest solution is to buy a Bayou Classic control valve. Then, you’ll be able to cook with a lot more precision.
- Very portable: when it comes to a compact, easy to move grill, this one takes some beating.
- Well built: the main body of this grill is small and sturdy and should stand the test of time.
- Great value for money: for those who are on the road a lot, this inexpensive grill could be a steal.
- Poor temperature control: a big problem with this grill is there’s TOO much heat. It can be very hard to control the temperature. Buy a Bayou Classic control valve. Problem sorted.
- Grease holes get clogged: it’s generally easy to clean because of its size. Still, the little holes in the grate can be tricky to clean and will get clogged up if you’re not careful.
- Poor cooking grate: they say it’s stainless steel. Even so, this grate isn’t made of the sternest stuff. Take care when cleaning, as the coating comes off a little too easily.
Char-Broil TRU-Infrared Patio Bistro Gas Grill
For its size, this budget infrared grill packs a punch. It delivers moist, perfectly cooked food and at a very reasonable price. It may not be everyone, but for those looking for a family grill and who don’t have a massive amount of space, it’s ideal.
With 320 square inches of cooking space, you can easily grill up enough for four people. So, those looking to grill up a gluttonous feast might want to look elsewhere. It’s definitely designed with practicality in mind. It can be easily stowed away indoors after use.
It’s small and compact, meaning you’ll be able to move it around with ease. If you’re after a great looking grill though, this one might disappoint. For me, it looks too much like a robot from a bad 70s sci-fi film. The cheap, plastic appearance is a little off-putting. Another issue is with the ignitor, which has a habit of not working.
That’s just me though. For others, this could prove to be the affordable, efficient infrared grilling machine they’ve been searching for.
- Great value for money: for the price, this infrared gas grill delivers seriously tasty food.
- Compact: some will be put off by a lack of cooking space. Others will see a nice compact grill that fits nicely on the patio or backyard.
- Mobile: this infrared grill is designed to be moved around with ease.
- Looks: I’ve got to be honest, it looks a little tacky. For me, the sterile looks take away from the fun of outdoor grilling.
- Very small: while it’s ideal for those without a lot of space, you might want something with a lot more room to maneuver.
- Poor ignitor: the ignition button on this infrared grill doesn’t always work properly.
Char-Broil 463370719 Performance TRU-Infrared 3-Burner Cart Style Gas Grill
This infrared grill is a great option for those on a budget. Easy to use and assemble, the Char-Broil Performance is designed with simplicity in mind. Nifty features, like the swing-away warming rack, come in very handy.
With 24,000 BTUs spread across three stainless steel burners, there’s plenty of power for the casual cook. Still, this might not be enough for BBQ fanatics.
Cleaning it can be a chore – the holes in the grill tend to pick up bits of food. It comes with a cleaning tool, but it’s not great.
450 inches of cooking space isn’t massive. Still, it’s great value at this price point and gets the job done nicely. So, if you’re looking for a compact, mobile, infrared grill, this could be the one for you.
- Great value for money: this is a very impressive infrared grill at this price point. It has great features and enough cooking space for the casual cook.
- Flexible fuel: this infrared grill can be fueled by natural gas or propane.
- Mobile: with two big sturdy wheels at its base, this infrared grill is pretty mobile. You can shift it around the backyard with ease.
- Tricky to clean: despite being quite small, this one’s tricky to clean. The small holes in the grate have a habit of getting clogged up.
- Lack of power: with 24,000 BTUs, this grill is not the most powerful. More like a steady burner than an out-and-out beast.
- Quite small: it’s not got a huge amount of space. Those looking to cook up a big old feast may want to look elsewhere.
Napoleon P500RSIBNSS-3 Prestige 500 RSIB Natural Gas Grill
This one’s a beauty. A very stylish grill, the Napoleon Prestige will look amazing as a centerpiece in your yard or on your patio. It’s not all style over substance though – this infrared grill’s got plenty to offer.
With 500 square inches of main cooking space, you’ve got a good amount of room for a small feast. It’s got plenty of power too. Four stainless steel main burners produce a very nice 48,000 BTUs of heat. That’s more than enough for your average pitmaster.
The Napoleon Prestige also offers a backchannel between burners. This enables each burner to light off each other, meaning they stay lit. That said, there’s not as much storage space as you’d expect at this price point. Also, the doors feel a little even and flimsy, although the rest of this infrared grill is built like a tank.
If you’ve got a big budget and want plenty of heat, the Napoleon Prestige certainly delivers. Other cheaper models offer better value for money though.
- Looks great: this is one good looking grill! With its elegant design and sleek silver finish, you’ll feel cool as hell grilling up meat on this beauty.
- Versatile: different types of burners means you can cook different types of meat. Rotisserie and sear burners give you flexibility when cooking.
- Plenty of power: with over 50,000 BTUs, the Napoleon Prestige definitely packs a punch.
- Solid build of the main body: this is an infrared grill that’s built to last!
- Expensive: this one’s pretty pricey. I’m not sure it’s worth it. Also, it’s going to be over budget for many people.
- Flimsy doors: while the main part of the grill is sturdy, the doors feel pretty thin.
- Small storage space: for such an expensive grill, there’s a lack of storage space. Especially when you compare it to far cheaper models.
Whether you want a big powerful cooker or a pack-up-and-go grill, there’s something for everyone on this list. But there’s one that stands out above the rest.
The Char-Broil Big Easy TRU-Infrared Smoker Roaster & Grill is a fantastic infrared grill. It consistently delivers amazing tasting food. It’s as flexible as an outdoor barbecue gets and is nice and compact, with plenty of cooking space. And for the price, it’s an absolute steal!